This series of posts is going to be for my first timers to get them ready for the PASS Summit. This post will cover the pre-summit items, and then we will go day by day with information about the summit.
You have done the unthinkable! You convinced your boss/exec/manager that training is a great thing and when you get home you will be able to make all the servers run 100% faster! Good job! So now what? I’ll give you some of my pre-pass checklist to get ready for.
- Order some business cards or get some from your company if they provide them.
- Join Twitter if you’re not already there. Follow the #sqlpass hashtag. Most afterhours events are coordinated either through talking in the halls of the summit or on twitter.
- Take a look at the current afterhours /schedule of events.
- First timers check out the Pass page for First Timers some great events listed here.
- Check out the schedule of sessions located here.
- Prepare your office.
- Set out of office on outlook for when you will be gone.
- Tell your co-workers how to get a hold of you if needed and email/calls may be delayed
- Train others to do some simple tasks while you are gone. This will really help with avoiding calls/emails in the middle of the sessions.
- Make sure you have RDP/VPN access if you have to work remotely.
- If you are required to be on call and expect a lot of work consider a Mobile hotspot or other device for you to be connected. Hotel wireless will work but we will have 3-5K tech heads in one place and most of the time the hotel wireless is very busy. Along with the convention center. So if it’s critical you have connection plan accordingly.
- Packing list
- While Seattle is very wet a light jacket is really all you will want. I use a fleece lined jacket that is a windbreaker and have never had an issue staying warm.
- Comfortable shoes! You will be walking/standing a lot!
- Camera! If you have this on your phone great you will have lots of chances for fun photos with friends. If you are really want to see the sites and take pictures consider joining us on the photowalk.
- Power cables
- Phone charger
- Ipad charger
- Power cable for laptop
- Power cable for camera if needed
- Surge protector can be very handy in the hotels.
- Clothes make them comfortable; bring your favorite SQL Saturday shirt and your kilt for kilt day!
- Leave room in your bag for Swag! You will get lots of swag items from the vendor hall I suggest either a separate bag to bring back or leave room in your suitcase for plenty of space.
- Bring your favorite SQL books if you want them signed. Very good chance the author will be at the summit.
- Verify your travel plans. Flight/hotel. If you are flying in you should consider taking the train from the airport to downtown it’s the preferred method for getting downtown. Just remember it’s a long walk out to light rail in the airport. If you’re tired and dead from walking then you are halfway there.
- Finally I’ve missed a ton of good items in this first blog post so start reading through this list for lots more information about the PASS Summit.
This list should be a good start to get you ready for the summit and many of the things you need to do. Being prepared makes for a great summit do these things early and you will have a wonderful summit experience.