It’s a good thing I was being lazy very busy during the holidays and the beginning of the year. Now I can post my resolutions Goals for my #TSQL2sday post.
So first Housekeeping what is T-SQL Tuesday?
“Each month a blog will host the party, and about a week before the second Tuesday of the month a theme will be posted. Any blogger that wishes to participate is invited to write a post on the chosen topic. The event is called “T-SQL Tuesday”, but any post that is related to both SQL Server and the theme is fair game. So feel free to post about SSIS, SSRS, Java integration, or whatever other technologies you’re working with in conjunction with SQL Server. Even if your post includes no T-SQL we still want to see it.”
I mentioned last year I’m not a big believer in resolutions but I do have goals for next year. I’m going to review my goals from last year and then set my tech goals for this year.
Last year I listed my goals on this blog post.
For the first goal was to blend my passion of photography and the PASS Summit together. I achieved this goal in many ways.
- I helped to organize the Pre-Summit Photowalk which was a big hit!
- I purchased an Eye-Fi card and uploaded all my pictures to flickr as they happened. So those that were not at the summit could interact and see what was going on. I’m happy to say I had over 4000 hits on my flickr stream from those tuning in to see those pictures. I was really happy with how this ended up.
I wanted to put on a SQL Saturday and I did. With the help of a great crew we organized and put on SQL Saturday #54. It was a great first start and we’ll be doing it again later this year.
I wanted to present more. I met the goal of 5 times by presenting at my 2 code camps the SQL Saturday and several user group meetings. I did not get a chance to attend other SQL Saturdays (besides crashing the Chicago after party).
My last major goal was organization. I met these both at home and work with getting things organized. I plan to continue this through 2011.
Goals for 2011
So on to the important part. 2011 is starting out as a big question for me. I will be on day 2 of a new job and new role when this post goes live. My underlying Theme/Goal for this year is once again Organization. My life is usually chaos and I strive very hard to get that in order and most of my goals will reflect that.
- 2 Technical blog posts a month. I plan to blog weekly as I started last year but I don’t have enough good technical content and I need to change that.
- 3 solid presentations. I have 2 presentations currently I feel comfortable giving and really enjoy I need to add another one to that.
- Learn other technologies. I’m going into a company that has open source, oracle and many other technologies that are different for me and I’m looking forward to embracing them and learn more about them.
- Learn Powershell. With my new role I know that I’m going to need automation and ways of gathering data in lots of different places. In the past I’ve always used SSIS for this but want to branch out now and learn Powershell to give me more options.
- Pass Cert tests. I have never taken the MS cert tests and I think it’s about time I did. Hopefully someday I can try for an MCM but even if I don’t succeed in getting the MCM certification I want to learn the knowledge that is required for it.
These are my major Tech goals for 2011. I am really looking forward to this year and what it holds for me.